It was a usual Sunday morning and I woke up at 4.30am thinking I needed to go to relief myself (as usual). But when I went to the toilet, I realised that there was blood. I went back to bed and daddy woke up for a while, I told him there was blood, but nothing to be worried about. But despite my nonchalance, I was a little worried. Shortly after that I felt some discomfort and by the time daddy woke up at 7 all ready to go for his golf game, we wondered if it was advisable for him to head to the game or for us to go to the hospital. We could not decide if it would be a false alarm.
In the end, we decided that he'd come with me to the hospital for a check with Dr Low. I called ahead and informed the nurses at the OBGYN reception then headed to have a shower. By then, the contractions seemed to be 4-5 minutes apart. We quickly had breakfast and daddy arranged the NeatSeat and a towel (for fear of my waterbag bursting on the way) and off we headed to the hospital. As for you, you had just come back from a morning walk with Ah Kong and we managed to persuade you to stay at home and only come to the hospital later IF I was really in labour.
Daddy dropped me to quickly register. I informed the nurse again and they quickly informed Dr Low's nurse about me. I was to be the second patient as there was already one patient who was waiting for her turn to see Dr Low. I had given a urine sample and I thought I saw Dr Low's nurse come out to test it and made a quick dash back into the room before it was my turn to see the doctor.
A quick scan (baby was estimated to be 3.5kg) and a check showed I was 5 cm dilated. What?? That sure was a fast one.. as compared to what I went through 6 years ago...
A wheelchair was ordered and I was wheeled straight to the labour room while daddy went to make arrangement for the payments etc. By then it was about 9.40am. It's not very good when you are lying facing the clock and the minutes are ticking very slowly while the pain is coming more and more regularly!!
Daddy came back to me and stayed with me most of the time, making calls to let Nanna and also Ah Kong and Ah Ma know that your little mei-mei was planning to come soon. After drifting in and out from the painkillers, feeling so much pain and fighting a bout of nausea it was finally time for mei-mei to arrive.
I was 8 cm dilated by then (it was around 12pm). She had put in a catheter then burst my waterbag (which did not burst in daddy's car after all..). Then it was discovered that there was meconium in the water.. mei-mei had poo poo-ed already. Dr Mary (whom we had requested) was quickly informed and Dr Low was on his way.
Finally after a lot of pushing Evelyn finally arrived at 12.38p.m.. I didn't get to carry her like I did with you. She was quickly put on that little place to be cleaned and checked by Dr Mary, while Dr Low stitched me up. It was worrying as I didn't get to carry Evelyn but I could see her. Dr Mary checked and she informed me that all seemed well with her, but there is still a worry about meconuim in her lungs which will show in the next 6 hours. I finally got to carry and cuddle her after a while and tried to feed her. Then she was taken away for a bath and I was resting in the labour room while waiting to be moved to my room.
By then, daddy's WatsApp was busy buzzing with messages from your Kor-kors and Ah Peks. We didn't even know her exact birth weight. I got back to my room to have my lunch and you were already there, happily playing on the iPad but happy to see me too. Then you all went to the nursery to take a look at Evelyn. At long last after I had my lunch, Evelyn was brought to the room for a cuddle with mummy and to be fed by me, now officially known was Evelyn's "moo-mmy"

No comments:
Post a Comment