As Ah Tai passed away on Sunday evening, nothing much could be done. So we "officially" started mourning on Monday evening. The undertakers were called immediately after she left us and they arrived by 8pm with the necessary items for the family. Ah Tai was quickly dressed and put into the coffin as we stood outside. After everything was arranged and the hospital bed kept away, we went in. You noticed that the bed was missing and asked: Where is Ah Tai's bed? I had no choice but to tell you the truth that Ah Tai was sleeping in the "box". I asked if you wanted to have a look at her and you did. You took a look at her, gave her a flying kiss and even said "I love you Ah Tai". Subsequently you asked to look at her a few times even. I'm glad that you were not afraid of looking at her. Then again, you probably don't fully understand the situation.
Monday was spent getting ready for the funeral. As we were not allowed to shampoo our hair for the whole duration and no haircut for 3 weeks we headed to 5th Chim Poh's hairdresser's place for a shampoo and a cut for you and daddy. The night before I told you that we'll be going to Aunty's place for a haircut. You asked how come it's not done by Uncle Austin. So I had to explain to you that Uncle Austin was in Penang and we were in Ipoh. The haircut went well. Will post them later on when I've gotten the pictures.
The night passed quite quickly. You had many kor-kors to play with, taking a special liking towards Mei Nien Kor kor whom you've barely met before this. That left me free to help around and to fold the joss paper which need to be prepared to be burned the next day. The prayer ceremony was also very simple and all was done by 11.20pm. Gave you a bath, put you in front of my PC with Hi-5 playing while I took my bath. As with the many nights in the past week, you only went to sleep close to 1am.
Tuesday saw us having lunch in McDonalds with you having you usual nuggets, fries and milo. Then we took a nap and soon it was time for the wake. This second and final night also passed quickly. The prayers were finished off with the burning of the paper items representing the home, car (with driver) and effigies. Then to finish the night we got ready just like the night before. You fell asleep shortly after we lay in bed.
Wednesday was a busy day. I woke up with a start and in the process woke you and poor, tired daddy too. We quickly got ready as the funeral undertakers came to arrange for the funeral. A lot of prayers were made and a final goodbye was made by the family, relatives and friends before Ah Tai began the journey to her final resting place. We had to walk a distance behind the hearse until we reached the main road. I carried you all the way and somehow my arms (and legs) found the strength to walk so far. But just before we got on the bus I put you down and realised that my arms had gone numb!
You sure were excited to ride on a bus. Furthermore, you couldn't understand what was going on. After Ah Tai was laid to rest, we went to a restaurant (much to your delight.. since it had air-cond!) for a late lunch. Our week in Ipoh ended when we made our way back to Penang after everyone had a shower.
I wondered how much you know what has actually happened to Ah Tai. But to my surprise as we went downstairs to collect the mail, you told me "Mummy, I miss Ah Tai..." *sob*

1 comment:
Just read your blog after so long... My condolences to you & your family Angie...
Post a Comment